Tuesday 3 April 2012

Preconception Appointment... and I think I'm cursed!

Seriously? If I was crazy, I would think someone was trying to tell me I shouldn't get pregnant! Last week, I lost my keys at my doctor appointment (located in the hospital) and waited around for 3 hours. Today, at my preconception appointment (also located in the hospital) all the tornados started to hit. I was once again, stuck at the hospital for over 2 hours! What in the world is going on? Let's say it's been very eventful!

Well, I really got to know the nurses and doctors at the obgyn office, considering we were in a small hallway taking shelter. Other than that, I will say that it went really well! The nurse was very friendly and no one thought I was crazy for coming in (one of my fears.) It was a pretty general check-up including pap-smear and urine test. The doctor came in before the exam to meet me and perform the consultation. He discussed my health and family history and the medicines that I take. I showed him my vitamins and he gave me a free sample of prenatals. They also gave me a website to order more prenatal vitamins which is way cheaper. It's about $50.00 for a 3 month supply. Then he discussed some key elements of conceiving based on my cycle.

I came to the appointment with several questions, but he ended up answering most of them for me. I did ask him his c-section rate. For first time moms, he is about 29%. The national average is 31%. This was pretty comforting. C-sections are really scary to me, and I'd like to avoid one if possible. He said, "my patients have to prove that they are unable to deliver before he allows a c-section."

{I had done some research about this particular hospital. It has much higher c-section rates than average hospitals. I've heard it was due to the higher income levels in the area and women wanting them scheduled. Not because it was needed.}

My doctor mentioned this to me. He also said that you would have to twist his arm to get a scheduled c-section, and that he was really against them. He also let me know that he was for the minimum amount of medicine as possible.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I left the office feeling relieved to have found someone I liked and excited!

Let's just hope that my next appointment (whenever that will be) will not be so dramatic!

Love,
Before Baby Lady


11 comments:

  1. How exciting! My husband and I got pregnant when we were pretty young and by surprise, so I had no cares in the world or notions about pregnancy/delivery. It seems like just yesterday, but that baby is now 9 and we have four total! It's a fun, crazy adventure!
    Taylor
    (www.thelumberjackswife.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that's awesome! I think we're pretty young... I'll be 25 in August. As a teacher, I've always loved kids and known I wanted to be a mom.

    Everyone always says how fast time goes when you have babies! I just wish time would go a little faster right now! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Found that you'd started following me, THANKS!
    Good luck, don't stress. When I finally gave up is when we got pregnant.
    And, if you're not taking prenatals now, do. Make sure they have folic acid. That way, the weeks that your little baby is growing and you're completely unaware of it, Baby is getting the nutrients they need. I found some vitamins that do NOT make me sick and are rather tasty. Target brand prenatal gummies. They're square, look like candy gummies covered in sugar. They taste good. LOL. My husband was curious and even tried one and said they tasted like candy!
    As soon as you know you're pregnant, Target also sells Target brand DHA that doesn't have an after taste. Most of my research says that women experience morning sickness, likely, due to the vitamins. So, find some that don't make you sick NOW and you'll be smooth sailing! I was on my prenatals the whole time we were trying. And, coincidence? I haven't had the first bit of morning sickness!!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I have been taking a vitamin before I go to sleep. Multi-vitamins have always hurt my stomach. If I take them at night, I guess I sleep through the nausea! : ) I hope I'm lucky and don't get sick. How exciting for you! I can't wait to read more about your pregnancy!

      Delete
  4. Stumbled across your blog and love this stage of life you are in. I just had my second baby a month ago. As someone previously mentioned, try not to stress, it really makes a difference! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I saw your comment on my blog and I'm so excited to follow your journey :) If you set up your blogger account a certain way, I can respond to your comments by email. Here's how to do it:
    All you have to do is go into your Blogger Dashboard and find where you can “edit your profile” near the top and click on it. Then find the section “show my email address” and check the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you ALL the best...and lots of future uneventful doctor's appointments. :) Although, I think from here on out (like finding out you're really pregnant, the ultrasounds, trying to tinkle in cups you can't see anymore because you're belly's in the way, etc.) kind of make it eventful either way. :) But Lord, it's fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a sweet comment! makes me so excited! I can't wait!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful doctor! You are so prepared and asking the right questions! I would have never thought to ask a doctor what their c-section rate was! Will definitely have to ask my doctor now! :)

    ReplyDelete